Certain Affinity is seeking a Technical Designer with extensive experience in supporting designers and game development pipelines for both single and multiplayer games. The Tech Designer represents the “tip of the spear” for design on projects, troubleshooting key design related pipeline issues and solving core problems surrounding development team collaboration.
This is a unique opportunity to help improve the development pipeline and empower the design team and development team, as a whole.
- Work closely with project leadership to quickly establish initial project development pipelines
- Become a design technology and content pipeline expert for projects by delving deep into the design content pipeline and related technologies (level design, scripting, build creation, etc.)
- Coordinate with Technical Artists to establish and maintain performance standards early in project development
- Serve as the design liaison with tech and art to troubleshoot development pipelines
- Collaborate with design leadership to develop design development best practices.
- Create design documentation that clearly and concisely communicates design best practices for both internal and external developers.
- Assist the design leads in the review of design-related work, including level construction and scripting, and educate and enforce established design development best practices.
- Gather designer feedback for tools and pipeline improvements and prioritize and champion these changes and related efforts
- 5+ years of professional PC or console game design experience
- Minimum 2 shipped titles in a design role (Technical Designer, Level or Systems Designer, etc.)
- Passion for development processes and related pipelines and improving them
- Must be willing to get hands dirty digging into not just development pipelines and processes, but the tools as well
- Great collaborator with strong problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience at creating technical documentation
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Experience with other facets of game design (level design, encounter scripting, etc.)
- Experience with first or third person game development (single player, multiplayer, coop)
- Strong programming background and/or proficiency with any scripting languages (Java, Lua, Python, Perl, Kismet, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple platforms (PC, console, or mobile)
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience